We will get you on the path to a career with our accelerated program!
Get started in your healthcare career with an entry-level job as a medical billing specialist. These specialists are comfortable working with a computer in an office environment, performing data entry with various software programs, problem-solving to resolve billing errors, and communicating with insurance payers, patients, and other health professionals via telephone. This hybrid program includes classroom and online training, and is ideal for students who have never worked in healthcare, or are looking for career related to billing procedures.
LEARN THE SKILLS:
- Gather and review essential patient information
- Verify accuracy of billing data and revise errors
- Support coding and billing process
- Assign codes for diagnoses and procedures
- Submit claims for reimbursement
All textbooks, access to campus computer labs, and the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) fee for the CBCS exam.
STUDENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
Transportation to utilize campus computer labs or personal computer for work performed outside of class time.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS COURSE:
Demonstrate college readiness by completing one of the following:
Demonstrate computer skills by completing one of the following:
- Proof of GED or US high school diploma valid within past five years. Scores or GPA to be evaluated for college readiness.
- US college diploma or transcript showing completion of non-developmental English and Math.
- Take the Virginia Placement Test (VPT) for English and Math. Developmental scores not eligible to register.
- Submit results from the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE).
- Transcript showing computer class completion within last five years.
- Certificate of completion for a computer class within last three years.
- Completion of the North Star computer assessment: Modules 1, 4, & 5.
Students will be prepared to sit for the Certified Billing & Coding Specialist (CBCS) exam
through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
NOTE: This program will not make you eligible to sit for:
- The national certification exams with the America Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC)
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) exams
This course will however prepare you for an entry level position or to continue your education with a Health Information Management Career Studies Certificate to pursue these advanced certifications.
Let's get you started. Call us now.