The Machining - Turning: Operator course is a hands-on course where you will learn the fundamentals of using a lathe in a manufacturing environment. You will learn facing, turning, drilling, turning angles and other operations as well as basic CNC program editing. Instruction will also include shop safety, math and measurement for precision machining, and how to interpret drawings including views, notations, symbols, dimensioning and tolerances.
Students completing the course will sit for the NIMS (National Institute of Metalworking Skills) CNC Turning: Operator, Level 1 exam.
For more information on NIMS Credentialing visit: National Institute for Metalworking Skills
- Textbook, workbook and exam study guide provided for use during the length of the course
- NIMS' first time registration fee and exam cost
- All materials needed for turning: including metals, lubricants, cutting tools and similar
- Tooling-U online access
- OSHA voucher to earn OSHA card within the course timeframe (if student has not already earned an OSHA card)
STUDENTS MUST PROVIDE:
- Steel-toed boots or shoes. Estimated cost: $40.00
- Safety glasses with side shields. Estimated cost: $10.00
- Basic calculator. Estimated cost: $10.00