We will get you on the path to a career with our accelerated program!
Get started in your healthcare career with an entry-level job as a medical administrative assistant. As a professional assisting a medical office, you will be on the front lines as a patient service representative utilizing computer software, medical record systems, telephone etiquette, email and written correspondence, and interpersonal communication with diverse audiences. This program covers the professional soft skills and hands-on technical skills to work as a patient service representative, medical secretary, medical administrative assistant, or medical records clerk. This program is ideal for students who have never worked in healthcare, or are looking for an introduction to the healthcare field.
LEARN THE SKILLS:
• Professional interpersonal communication
• Medical ethics and law
• Patient scheduling
• Medical records management
• Basics of medical billing
Students will be prepared to sit for the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) exam by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
- CMAA Study Guide by NHA - Loaner copy. Must be returned to VWCC upon completion
- CMAA Online Practice Assessment & exam voucher by NHA
- Online access to the SimChart for the Medical Office EHR Exercises
STUDENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Mandatory attendance at the Workforce healthcare Orientation- Date to be determinted, students will be notified.
- Transportation to utilize campus computer labs or personal computer for work performed outside of class time
REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS COURSE:
Demonstrate college readiness by completing one of the following:
- Proof of GED or US high school diploma valid within past five years. Scores or GPA to be evaluated
- US college diploma or transcript showing completion of non-developmental English and Math
- Take the Virginia Placement Test (VPT) for English and Math. Developmental scores not eligible
- Submit results from the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE)
Demonstrate computer skills by completing one of the following:
- Transcript showing computer class completion within last five years
- Certificate of completion for a computer class within last three years
- Completion of the North Star computer assessment: Modules 1,4 & 5
Please see the Medical Office Support Handbook for full requirements and expectations:
Let's get started. Call us Now