The Dental Radiation Safety Certification is perfect for working dental professionals and current dental hygienist students looking to enhance their skills. This course meets the requirements of the Virginia State Board of Dentistry for certification in radiography safety.
Upon completion of assigned readings, class discussion and laboratory exercises, the student will be able to:
1. Describe the basic principles of radiation production.
2. Discuss the effects of ionizing radiation on living tissues.
3. Discuss and use radiation protection procedures for the operator and the patient.
4. Discuss and recognize factors that influence the quality of radiographic films.
5. Recognize and correct errors related to dental radiographic techniques.
6. Describe and demonstrate infection control in radiography.
7. Promote radiation safety.
8. Have the knowledge and skill to apply radiological health and safety concepts to clinical situations.
A comprehensive exam will be given after the completion of the online session emphasizing safety for the patient, operator and co-workers (including infection control, health and safety procedures). Students must pass the exam with a minimum grade of 75%. This class will not provide clinical competence in taking x-rays. Students will receive a course certification of completion, which they can provide to their employer.